Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Review of the New Living Translation

I already have a Bible. Why would I need another one? Here are three reasons:

1. If you don't read the bible because you find it too difficult, the chances are you need a translation that will work better for you. Some translations really are easier to read than others. The NLT is extremely easy to read without dumbing down the translation.
2. If you don't read the bible because it no longer feels fresh, a new translation can liven things up for you. For my devotional reading I like to change translations every two or three years or so. It helps to keep me engaged. Plus, a different translation will make me think about a familiar passage in new ways.
3. You lied about having a copy of the Bible and you haven't seen your old one since you moved out of your mom's house.

Why the New Living Translation (NLT) 2nd Edition?

1. It's a new translation, taking into account the latest scholarship. It can be used for both devotional reading and bible study.
2. The language is modern without being too trendy.
3. It uses more of a meaning-for-meaning rather than a word-for-word philosophy. This means it is easier to read the more difficult passages of Paul or Isaiah than in some other translations.
Occasionally the NLT flubs something but no translation is perfect. For serious study one should always have a couple of different English translations on hand (or go to seminary and learn Greek...)
There is nothing wrong with the NIV or the NRSV but over all this is the translation I would recommend. I prefer the 2nd edition of the NLT, mostly because the 1st edition puts the poetry of the prophets in prose form and that drives me crazy.

2 comments:

The Curtis Crew said...

I agree...I love the NLT version.
I put a link to your blog on my blog. I hope that's ok.

Elliott Scott said...

Absolutely.