Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What Is the Pastor Reading?

I tend to pick at half a dozen things at once. Here are the main things I'm currently working through.

It was time to read some R. C. Sproul.

I've read plenty of Calvin and studied quite a few theologians that come from the Reformed tradition. I've also spent a fair share of time reading the classic Reformed creeds. But I've never read someone modern who holds so closely to a 17th century scholastic version of the Reformed faith in its famous TULIP form.

Sproul is an engaging writer and a good teacher. If I can get some uninterrupted time, I should finish it in the next week or so.




This is a fine look at how to share one's faith. There are no gimmicks or fads. It's all about loving people and listening to God's guidance. I'm really enjoying it.









This book by Joseph Canfield is an unflattering biography of the editor of the Scofield Bible, which popularized Dispensational theology in the United States.








With so many faiths represented in the city of Houston, a pastor is well served to have a decent understanding of the major world religions. Huston Smith's book is considered a classic.





And finally, just for fun I'm reading a fictional account of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Normally I prefer history to historical fiction but this is pretty good.

4 comments:

The Curtis Crew said...

You can read all those books at the same time? I'm impressed! It's one at a time for me!

Elliott Scott said...

It's not all that impressive. It's part of my job to read and I take some of my work time each week to do so.

This morning I've been looking at Hybel's book, gleaning some of his ideas in preparation for an upcoming sermon. He's an amazing person.

Anonymous said...

Did the jews go to heaven before Jesus?

Elliott Scott said...

Let me get through Christmas and I'll give you a coherent answer.