Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Life with God Conference

Last Friday some of the staff of Lifepath and I went to the Life with God conference here in Houston to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the publication of Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster.

Celebration of Discipline helps Protestants to rediscover classic spiritual disciplines such as prayer, fasting, solitude, and other practices which are often neglected in our tradtions. Christianity Today has named it as one of the 20 most influential books of the 20th century.

At the conference we heard speakers such as Dallas Willard, John Ortberg, and Lauren Winner, which is a pretty potent line-up.

As a bonus I reconnected with Dr Robert Sloan who is currently serving as the president of HBU. About a hundred years ago he served as my academic adviser at Baylor and was instrumental in my becoming a pastor. Sitting in his Introduction to the New Testament class was where I first realized that I was called to preach. It was fun talking to him after all these years and I was reminded of why I enjoyed his classes so much.

It was a great day.

5 comments:

The Curtis Crew said...

You're coming to Cleveland...woohoo!

Elliott Scott said...

Yep. Allie and I will be there for the New Wineskins Convocation in mid November.

It's not going to be below 70 degrees, is it?

The Curtis Crew said...

Uh, you might want to bring a jacket... It's too bad you're not here now...the trees are gorgeous. I think in a few weeks, they will be bare, though. It was 80 degrees on Monday this week, but tomorrow, the high is 55.

Elliott Scott said...

I used to have a jacket before I moved to Houston. Maybe I can still find it....

The Curtis Crew said...

We have plenty! :-) Boots of all sizes and lots of mis-matched mittens...we've got you covered! Do you need any long underwear, too...just want to make sure they're clean..ha ha!