Friday, August 29, 2008

Student Ministry

This past Sunday at their regular evening meeting the Student Ministry had over 50 kids attend. That's more than we've ever had before and something to celebrate. Many of these kids are new. Their parents don't (yet) attend Lifepath. They've been brought by word of mouth and the enthusiasm of other kids.


Of course, numbers don't necessarily mean that God is present and at work but anytime kids are excited enough to bring their friends it means that something good is going on.


On Thursday I had lunch with our Director of Student Ministries, Nicholas Jones, and we talked about how it was going and I was really impressed with the direction he wants to take the ministry. They have a weekly Bible study on Tuesday nights that is successful enough that he's thinking of adding another one. He has plans for two and possibly three mission trips for next summer, including one for the Junior High kids. That's important to me, not only as pastor, but also because my older three will be rising 6th-graders and eligible to go.


I may even go with them.

7 comments:

Nicholas said...

Thank you sir. I appreciate the vote of confidence, even though it was just a tad uncomfortable to see my face staring back at me. I am really excited about everything we're doing now and will be doing in the future.

Good stuff.

Elliott Scott said...

Hah, well, you didn't get me any pictures of the kids so I stuck yours up there!

And I think we need some teeshirts with student ministry themes -
Maybe one of Dinosaur Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I know someone who would love to design that shirt!

Hey, thanks Elliott for highlighting the youth. Nicholas has been doing a fantastic job and our youth are evidence. What a blessing to us all!

The Curtis Crew said...

This is awesome news!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the Dinosaur thing.

Here is a link for those who don't know the truth:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_hJtSy_5HX0o/R0u1vC3TP7I/AAAAAAAAAFM/aGUkoHhmdms/s1600-h/Jesus+rides+a+dinosaur.jpg

Anonymous said...

Nicholas came to our church at a challenging time and likely most in his shoes would have hesitated. But not him...he jumped in and really has done a remarkable job in getting our youth program scaled up and front and center. and its growing!!
And the dude can play an awesome acoustic guitar!!

Anonymous said...

It is great to hear that they youth are growing so much!

Ben and I sure miss y'all - but are thrilled to hear how successful everything is!

Hope to see y'all soon!
Diane