Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Idle Eisegete and the Art of Blogging

Why bother with a blog? The act of dumping the random contents of my brain onto the internet seems futile and vaguely narcissistic. (Can you tell I'm a Calvinist? Total Depravity ftw.) But the post-post-modern staff I work for tells me that people want to interact with the guy they listen to on Sunday mornings, so ok, whatever, I'll give it a try.

A few things: Firstly, I will probably come across like a cross between an over-caffeinated Dennis Miller and that saber-toothed squirrel in Ice Age (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flwnaJXi9y0.) I don't talk like this but I do think like this. Welcome to my brain. This is why it takes about twenty hours a week to write a coherent sermon; a lot of editing is involved.

Which reminds me, I love suggestions for sermon topics as long as you don't expect me to actually use them. Keep your expectations very low.

Secondly, I can guarantee you that this blog will often fuction as an internet version of a slide show for family vacations. My family is utterly fascinating. I can talk about piano recitals and baby poop all day long. I am the guy you avoid at the office.

Thirdly, I'm not going to blog about denominational politics in the PCUSA. Ever. Yes, it's true we were forced off a million dollar property by our presbytery. No, I'm not going to talk about it. Why not? Because it's boring and a colossal waste of energy. We've moved on to start a new church (which has no real website except for http://www.copperfieldpc.org/). I'd be happy to talk about the principles which led to our break with the PCUSA and any other "God stuff" you want to discuss. But if you want a theological analysis of denominational train wrecks, move along. There are plenty of other bloggers happy to do that sort of thing.

Lastly, I'm not going to explain the title of the blog. Google is a great tool.

20 comments:

HolasG said...

I love it. This is exactly what I was thinking. Now you can share your thoughts, vent your frustrations, and provide some hotshot young district attorney just the ammunition he needs at your arraignment one day.

I like how you listed "Blow" as one of your favorite movies. Nice.

Elliott Scott said...

Ok, I need a rule about anonymous comments. Give your name....

And Blow is Johnny Depp's best movie.

teresa said...

I agree with "holasg" (he's someone very close to you, but I'm not gonna spoil it and tell you who)

Great job, Elliott! Now if I can just figure out how to build it into the website...I have a feeling I'm gonna be watching/reading tutorials for the rest of my natural life...

Nicholas said...

I'm so sorry for hiding behind an impenetrable cloak of mystery. My apologies.

Nicholas

Elliott Scott said...

That's better. I hate impenetrable cloaks of mystery.

Logan said...

Couldn't you just link it from the Website? Add a link or link through an image?

And I'd like some explanation in a sermon concerning this image I found on the net. There has to be some crazy parable somewhere in here, I just can't find it!

http://nonjeneregretterien.wordpress.com/2008/04/08/jesus-horses/

Sorry I couldn't get it embed itself.

I'd also beg to differ on Blow. I think Johnny Depp's best film is Pirates of the Carribean ... Why... Because the man is the reason that thing is a franchise! He's even been immortalized on the ride at Disney! Though I'm not a uber fan of those films myself but anyone who create that mega monster alone... (Come on you have to admit Bloom and Knightly are BORING in those films.)

Elliott Scott said...

Alex, concerning the relative merit of Johnny Depp movies, I have to admit it's a matter of taste. I like well told true stories more than fantasies.

But come on, the Pirates of the Carribean franchise was a bit like the Matrix movies. They should have stopped after the first one. So, the fact that Depp's great job in the first movie provoked two horrible sequels is actually a strike against him.

Allie said...

You guys are never going to get anything done now ... look at what you've started! Johnny Depp, blow, and impenetrable cloaks of mystery - obviously very important stuff. Just remember, Idle, that you said in your first posting that it takes about 20 hours to produce a coherent sermon! While I'd love a sermon about Johnny Depp, we might be wondering about the relevance ... still, if you added some video clips with a few close-ups of JD you'd at least have the female audience's attention ...

Logan said...

If can do a sermon with the films of Johnny Depp I'll never fund the buildings myself! (You may just have to wait a bit.)

But Pirates 2 SMASHES Pirates 1!!!!

Dan said...

Am I supposed to comment on movie stuff? That is my weak area - sorry. But I think it is great to share thoughts about random stuff outside of the "church" environment. Way to go Elliott!!!

Three thoughts:
1. I'd like to see news about how our new church is connecting with New Wineskins and EPC - and vice versa.
2. I'd like to see our church "bless" Copperfield church in some special way for providing us a place to worship through the month of May.
3. The Narnia movie event was enjoyable and I look forward to more social/community events like that.

Elliott Scott said...

DDRJ

Are those initials? Can you share who you are?

1. We had lunch with the staffs of the three other EPC churches in Houston yesterday. They seem like a great bunch.

2. Me too. It will be on the agenda of the next session meeting.

3. Excellent! I thought it was fun too. Although Jake climbed into my lap during the battle scenes because the violence was a little much.

Dan said...

This is Dan Lee. The DDRJ is for Dan DeAnna Ryan Jennifer. I can share that info, but I am not savvy enough to change the ddrj to my name.

Elliott Scott said...

Welcome, Dan!

KellyGMcG said...

I just wanted to comment on the blog and add a comment about the church "business" cards.
I've implemented a program at work with "smile" cards that are left behind when someone commits a random act of kindness. (The idea came from www.helpothers.org.)
Perhaps, we could use the upcoming church "business" cards also as "smile" cards, committing random acts of kindness in the Copperfield area.

Elliott Scott said...

Great idea, Kelly. We've talked about a RAOK campaign during past vision discussions and it's a matter of time until we get it started.

I'd love to have your help with it. Using the business cards is a great idea.

Dan said...

the church "business" cards could have many applications.

1. RAOK markers
2. guest invitations
3. "special" cards for free entry to church social events (ie movies)
4. advertising
5. bookmarks
6. stuffing restaurant fish bowls for free meal drawings.

Amber said...

I am sorry but I have to put my input in on Johnny Depp....His BEST movie ever has to be Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas....he is a great actor and to act out some of those scenes you have to be great. and Pirateas of the Carribean....regarless of how cruddy they get I will continue to watch...that man looks good as a pirate and makeup!

Dont worry Travis knows my love for Johnny Depp....we were going to write something about it in our vows...but then iraq got in the way JK

BTW elliot...I love this blog!

-The long lost Amber

Elliott Scott said...

Fear and Loathing is a great flick. Amber.....Ragsdale?

Amber said...

Yes this would be the infamous Amber Ragsdale :)

Elliott Scott said...

Welcome, Amber!