Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Best Movies Showing Christian Themes or Story Lines

One of my favorites is "The Mission", starring Jeremy Irons and Robert De Niro. Click here to see the trailer. http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi502333721/ (edit* - Gah! Sorry about the advertisment that sometimes precedes the playing of the trailer.)

De Niro plays a Portugese adventurer who enslaves the native Brazilian Indians and finally, in a moment of rage, murders his brother. Crushed by the enormity of his past, he cuts himself off from all human relationships.

As penance he starts dragging around this huge bundle of armor and weapons. He is literally dragging the weight of his guilt behind him.

One of the most powerful moments in the movie happens when one of the Indians cuts the ropes and pushes the heavy bundle over a cliff. De Niro realizes he has been forgiven by the people he was formerly persecuting and he just sits there, crying and laughing at the same time. The Indians are so overwhelmed that they start touching his face, welcoming him back into the human family. Great flick. (Plus it has one of the great musical scores of all time.)

What about the rest of you? Ever seen a movie that illustrated the themes of the Gospel?

6 comments:

Logan said...

I don't know so much about themes of the gospel, but the movie EXTREME DAYS was a youth group favorite of ours at Heritage. (This is the youth group stone age when we didn't have a pastor but we managed. Warped but managed. Apparently not many people know about our hanging out over night in the youth annex! Hey most kids were hanging out at bad places we were breaking into church to hang out. Someone might wanna send Heritage a memo to fix that second door in the youth room!!!) ANYWAY.

The movie EXTREME DAYS is pretty awesome. Its really corny but here is a trailer! http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807455628/video/?d=hv&cf=trailer&id=1807455628
Its a really goofy movie about some kids taking a road trip across California to enjoy its extreme sports opportunities. Its a film about friendship. But its got subtle themes like they pray alot. One characters grandfather dies and talks to God. So really its not like IN YOUR FACE God but it is a very prominent theme in the film.

I really like this approach to Christianity in films and writing. Subtle. I do think there is a time and place for IN YOUR FACE and Direct Approach. But I think films like this are less abrasive and able to get a message in a sneaky way.

Yeah yeah Now that we're EPC we're not sneaky huh? Ha ha ..

I dunno great film. Especially for Junior High and High School..

Plus they light farts on fire.

And that is awesome.




Or I can be generic and say ... THE PASSION.

Elliott Scott said...

I haven't seen "Extreme Days" but I'll have to give it a look. Keeping the themes subtle is usually best. Being too "in your face," as you put it, usually works against a movie.

Elliott Scott said...

Oh, and "The Passion" was so graphically violent, I could only watch it once. It may have been very realistic but I just can't bring myself to see it again.

Maybe when the kids get to be about 14 or 15 I'll sit down with them and we'll watch it together.

Logan said...

I'll have EXTREME DAYS for you on Sunday. Its Kid Friendly and it has RUFIO!!!! (From Hook.)


Yeah.... I saw most of THE PASSION I mainly saw Jessica Martin's shoulder because I couldn't take it. So I agree once is good for the next few decades.

Elliott Scott said...

While watching "Passion" I kept wanting to see more flashbacks from other parts of Jesus' life, like the one where he is talking to his mom about the furniture he is working on.

Of course that wasn't really the point of the movie.

Logan said...

Though I do agree... I think it'd be nice to see Jesus in the non-biblical story sense. It'd make it easier to see Jesus the man.


I heard he made a kill bunk bed.